New year, new focus, new goals. It is important to support any mental or physical changes with good nutrition, not to mention your health in general. This month’s recipe is a lean, mean Turkey Bolognese. I have substituted the spaghetti with some courgetti, and added some kale and avocado to make it a mouth watering, nutritious bit of grub.
Fun healthy facts about this dish:
- Try this dish 2-3 hours before bed. Turkey contains an amino acid called tryptophan, which is the pre cursor for serotonin. This is the happy hormone but also plays a key role in melatonin (the sleep hormone) release. Eat turkey for dinner to help get a better nights sleep!
- Kale is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet and is loaded with antioxidants. Get those nutrients in, keep those illnesses away!
Nutritional info (per serving):
Protein: 25g Carbs: 30g Fats: 12g
- Frying pan
Ingredients (prepares 3 meals):
- 400g of free range organic turkey mince
- 1 onion
- A pack of chesnut mushrooms
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Tinned tomato’s
- 2 Courgettes
- 1 avocado
- Tablespoon of coconut oil
I like to chop the onion, mushrooms and garlic before I commence so I have nothing to do as I go along- it’s entirely up to you though!
Add a small teaspoon of coconut oil to a frying pan and put on a medium heat. Heat the pan for a few minutes and add chopped onion until sautéed.
Put all the turkey into the pan and keep stirring and breaking up the mince to ensure it’s cooked properly.
Add the chopped mushrooms, crushed garlic and continue to stir for 3-4 minutes. Then smash in the tinned tomatoes with a touch of water if necessary. Season to your preference (I recommend pink Himalayan slat) and leave to simmer for 8-10 minutes.
Spiralise the courgettes, add some kale to the mix (or use as decoration around the edges) and slice up your avocado. Whack a healthy dollop of Bolognese on the courgetti and get ready to have a feast.
Written by Charlie Watts.