Summer is fast approaching and this means more skin will be exposed, in the park, by the pool or on the beach. Let’s face it we all want to feel comfortable with our shirt off or in our bikini, so we have put together some steps to get you beach body ready.
1. Set goals. Setting goals gives us direction and keeps us focused. Without direction we are lost. We wouldn’t set out on a trip not knowing how to get to there, just driving and hoping for the best. The same applies when embarking on any journey.
• Be specific. ‘Toning up’ and losing weight are great things to achieve but how do we know when we are there? How do we get there? Be S.M.A.R.T…Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Time Constraint. I will lose 3 kgs, by going to the gym three times a week, to look and feel better by August 8th. We know, how much we want to lose, by when and what needs to be done to get there in a set timeframe.
• Tell Everybody!! Shout about your goals… Tell family, friends, announce it on social media, the more people that know about it the more you’ll stick to it.
• Before and after pics. Take regular photos of yourself, seeing your progress is great motivation to keep you on track.
2. Resistance training. Research shows we stay younger for longer with more muscle on our body. The quickest, most efficient way to change your body shape is to do some form of resistance training. You don’t have to be in the gym 6 hours a day, 3 full body sessions a week can accelerate results.
• Come to a STRENGTH WORK class at Work it.
• Find a strength program online to try out at your local gym.
• Bodyweight exercises in the morning are a great start. A circuit of squats, press ups, burpees and plank in the morning can seriously help burn fat.
3. Eat yourself lean. Good nutrition is the foundation of a healthy lifestyle. What we eat directly effects how we look and perform. We all want brighter eyes and clearer skin. You are what you eat so don’t be fast, cheap, easy or fake…
• Higher quality input equals high quality output. Local, organic, free range, wild caught foods all contain superior nutrients which makes us look better.
• Get all the junk food out of the house! If it’s not there, you won’t eat it.
• Food prep. Cook extra dinner for your lunch tomorrow. Prepare simple snacks to have at hand and on your desk so you make the right food choices when hunger hits.
4. Be consistent. Focus on small positives changes that improve long term health. It’s the small things we do on a consistent basis that really matter. Find what you can easily implement and DO IT! Once done on a regular basis, it will form as a habit and fit into your lifestyle.
• Eat eggs for breakfast three times a week.
• Do 10 push ups and 10 squats everyday.
• Drink alcohol once or twice a week.
Changing your physique takes time, dedication, focus and motivation. There will be ups and downs, but it’s always worth it when we feel confident in our own skin. Set high standards for the body you want!
Written by Adam Willoughby.